Kick off 2007 – Build an AK47

with 7 comments

ak_sketch

Print the various pieces of the gun to use as templates, download files.

ak_print1ak_print2ak_print3 ak_print4ak_print5ak_print6

ak_final

Final to scale, wooden AK47, ready to ship!

I remember stepping into the Managua Airport in 1980 or 81 and being surprised and intimidated by the number of Sandinista soldiers holding AK47s. I was about nine years old, it was my first time back in Nicaragua following the 1978-79 popular uprising and final push of a long lasting struggle against the Somoza dynasty. At the time, I had never been in an airport so heavily monitored and in arms-distance of fatigued soldiers holding automatic weapons (supplied generously by the Soviet Union).

Through the Cold War, the AK47 became the most ubiquitous automatic fire arm in the world. A weapon that at once signifies revolution – struggle, turmoil, passion and oppression. In the late 80s, during my teens, I got to fire an AK47 and feel it’s rush of power.

Based on these memories, I decided to fabricate a wooden AK47 as part of a piece for an exhibition in St. Petersburg. I did so by creating an illustration of the gun to use as a template to draw the various pieces onto thick wood panel and then with a jigsaw cut them out, round the pieces as necessary and dowel them together to assemble a handcrafted toy gun. Download and print the Illustrator files to create your own AK47. You will need approximately 2″ thick wood panel, 1.5″ and .25″ thick dowel, a jigsaw or scroll saw, drill, sander, sandpaper and a stain of choice.

In the zipped folder, you will find three Illustrator files: “illustration.ai” is the entire to scale outline; “illustration2.ai” are the various sections separated into layers ready to print onto 8.5″x11″ pager; and “illustration3.ai” is a final section of the gun to be printed out on legal size paper.  Download files.

Written by ricardo

January 1st, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Posted in war_technology

7 Responses to 'Kick off 2007 – Build an AK47'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Kick off 2007 – Build an AK47'.

1. hi,
    tried to download your files of the wooden ak47 but only shows one part per file… no i miss some parts…
    try to reproduce an ak for a theater play..
    with regards,
    pieter

pieter

5 Jan 16 at 3:52 pm

2. Hello,
    i have just downloaded the files and i cannot see the pictures. i cannot find a program that supprots AI files?

Frederik Bjarnø Olsen

26 Mar 16 at 9:39 am

3. Hey there! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share. Thank you!

Lizabeth Lauster

15 May 17 at 7:05 am

4. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Appreciate it!

Ellis Rollinson

11 Jun 17 at 2:50 pm

5. I have checked your page and i have found some duplicate content, that’s why you don’t rank
    high in google’s search results, but there is a tool
    that can help you to create 100% unique content,
    search for; boorfe’s tips unlimited content

BookerChief

6 Apr 18 at 8:11 am

6. I have noticed you don’t monetize your page, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra bucks every month because you’ve got high quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra $$$, search for:
    Ercannou’s essential adsense alternative

BestCharmain

13 May 18 at 3:30 pm

7. I have noticed you don’t monetize your website, don’t waste your
    traffic, you can earn extra cash every month.
    You can use the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve all websites), for
    more info simply search in gooogle: boorfe’s tips monetize your website

BestRebbeca